Parsnip wine recipe - Homebrew


One of the vegetables I was really looking forward to growing was parsnips. I just love their sweet delicate flavour when roasted with honey and smothered in gravy.
The idea was to harvest them in time for Christmas dinner – which we did! I have a ridiculous amount of them left though and nowhere to store them. Apart from roasting them, there were no other recipes I wanted to try and since I had an unoccupied fermentation bucket, I decided to start a parsnip wine.
DSC04766.JPG
Recipe 
  • 1.8Kilo Parsnips (preferably after a hard frost)
  • 1 can white grape juice concentrate (these are expensive, so I need to find an alternative)
  • 1.1Kilo Sugar ( I only had white and it was vanilla sugar too)
  • 1/2 tsp of tannin ( I also didn’t have this so used a cup of very strong tea)
  • 1 sachet of white wine yeast
  • 1tsp Citric Acid
  • 1 Campden tablet crushed
  • 1tsp yeast nutrient
  • 1 tsp pectolyase
  • Water

Method 
  1. Scrub, peel and top and tail parsnips
  2. Boil in 2 pints of water until tender (about 20 mins)
  3. DSC04973.JPGStrain this infused water into a clean and sterilized bucket and discard parsnips(or roast them for dinner)
  4. Stir in sugar until it dissolves
  5. Add citric acid, brewed tea, Campden tablet and pectolyaseDSC04977.JPG
  6. Add can of grape juice concentrate
  7. Top up with tap water to 1 Gallon and leave for 24 hours
  8. After 24 hours pitch the yeast as instructions and add yeast nutrient per instructions
  9. Ferment and rack as other wines

DSC04983.JPG
WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THIS WINE TURNS OUT!! A lot of people claim it can be a very nice white wine.

Comments

Popular Posts