Soo, I had the idea of making some kind of fizzy apple cider for Xmas but I went on a few homebrew forums and everyone recommended making a ‘quick fizz’ instead. A quick fizz is similar to a champagne or sparkling wine but isn’t left to mature or clear.

I had a look on google for a method as I have never done anything like this before and came across a guy called Carl Legge. This guy had a fantastic website, full of great ideas for self-sufficiency, fermentation, and general cooking etc. He had a recipe called made from red, white and black currants which make a sparkling wine in just a couple of weeks. This was just what I needed. It was the beginning of December and I had a freezer full of surplus fruit, so why not give it a try.
His recipe used currants but I opted for using raspberries, gooseberries, rhubarb, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, as this the soft fruit I had in the freezer.
The method is pretty simple, as you can see from his recipe, only 24 hours before pitching the yeast I used a crushed Campden tablet to kill any natural yeasts and bacteria and I also used pectolase.
dsc04197
I was hoping this variety of fruit would give me a nice rose fizz but wanted a white too, so I followed a similar recipe but used all gooseberries instead.
dsc04194

After leaving them to ferment for a week, I sieved away from the fruit and transferred into a demijohn to carry on fermenting. Once the bubbles were slow I added the final batch of sugar in water solution and siphoned into bottles.
dsc04506

Comments

Popular Posts